[Nix-dev] Bower2nix

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Tue Oct 14 20:11:36 CEST 2014

Hi folks,

I'm trying to use nix (and nixops) to deploy a web app. It includes some
client-side components from bower. I've used bower2nix to generate some
nix-expresssions for downloading the bower packages, but I can't quite see
how to incorporate them into the derivation for my app.

What I'd like to do is generate symlinks to these components during the
built—that is, copy my app's files into $out and then create a directory
called bower_components containing links into the nix-store.

However, the nix expressions generated by bower2nix evaluate to a
user-environment derivation. This is *sort* what I'm looking for—a
directory of links in to the nix store—but if I just create a link to the
environment in my app, the app has to use some pretty gorky paths
(containing hashes and version numbers) to serve up the bower components.

So, what am I missing? How was bower2nix intended to be used?

Thanks,

Colin