[Nix-dev] Failure trying to build node package

Nikolay Amiantov ab at fmap.me
Mon Oct 6 02:46:33 CEST 2014

Hello,
Writing this to nix-dev mailing list since this looks like
NixOS-specific problem (I can't reproduce it on Arch- or SuSE-running
machines).
I'm trying to make a package "parsoid" for Nix, running NixOS and having
basically no experience in node or js. I've tried to add it to
node-packages.json and run npm2nix, but it could not get a "pegjs"
dependency of it. Apparently, it uses forked version of it hosted on
github, and npm2nix can't get the package. I've tried to clone parsoid
and run "npm install" manually to see the problem and got this:

npm ERR! git clone https://github.com/arlolra/pegjs Cloning into bare
repository
'/home/shlomo/.npm/_git-remotes/https-github-com-arlolra-pegjs-0488b4b2'...
npm ERR! git clone https://github.com/arlolra/pegjs fatal: unable to
access 'https://github.com/arlolra/pegjs/': SSL certificate problem:
unable to get local issuer certificate
npm ERR! Error: Command failed: Cloning into bare repository
'/home/shlomo/.npm/_git-remotes/https-github-com-arlolra-pegjs-0488b4b2'...
npm ERR! fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/arlolra/pegjs/':
SSL certificate problem: unable to get local issuer certificate
npm ERR!
npm ERR!     at ChildProcess.exithandler (child_process.js:648:15)
npm ERR!     at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:98:17)
npm ERR!     at maybeClose (child_process.js:756:16)
npm ERR!     at Socket.<anonymous> (child_process.js:969:11)
npm ERR!     at Socket.emit (events.js:95:17)
npm ERR!     at Pipe.close (net.js:465:12)
npm ERR! If you need help, you may report this *entire* log,
npm ERR! including the npm and node versions, at:
npm ERR! <http://github.com/npm/npm/issues>

I've tried to switch between latest version in "master" and one from
unstable channels -- no change. There are some mentions of this problem
on the Internet -- people get advices to update npm[1], but the "master"
version is the latest, apparently. I don't work behind a proxy, too, and
"git clone" of this repository (git clone
https://github.com/arlolra/pegjs/ -b startOffset) works okay. Any ideas?

[1]: https://github.com/npm/npm/issues/3624

Nikolay.