[Nix-dev] Moving some of the NixOS setup to nixpkgs

Andreas Herrmann andreash87 at gmx.ch
Fri Oct 3 14:06:26 CEST 2014

I have actually been thinking about a possible use case of this for a while. I just never found the time to try and see if it's possible.

The idea would be to describe your vim configuration (plugins, their settings, and global config) with nix and then be able to transfer it to other systems through e.g. nix-copy-closure. Each plugin could be its own package, and have additional config options. And parts of your vim config could be individual packages that you can pick and swap around.

Switching vim configurations with profiles, or env-func could also be a quite useful feature. E.g. if you want to have a certain vim plugin for one code-base, and another one for another code-base, and those two plugins are incompatible...

Best,
Andreas