[Nix-dev] New website

Ertugrul Söylemez ertesx at gmx.de
Sat May 31 08:49:56 CEST 2014

On Fri, 30 May 2014 13:27:00 -0700
"M. P. Ashton" <data at imap.cc> wrote:

> I don't mind the new website at all. I think it looks nice, and it does
> seem more professional than the old one.

If you need to look like some Enter Prise Service (typos intended) to deserve the "professional" label, I'm happy to look unprofessional.

> It also has a more promotional bent, which may or may not fit the
> project's goals -- I don't know if world domination is an aim for the
> project right now, but the new website seems to satisfy that goal much
> better than the old one.

I can't speak for the whole community, but I would say the project's aim is to provide a decent deployment system.  A growing community is certainly helpful, yet we have managed to get this far with a comparatively small one.  In either case there is no need for an Enter Prise Web Site (typos intended) to be successful.

> I don't care for websites sending me to external servers, mostly because
> the load time tends to become much longer, and occasionally the external
> servers don't cooperate. But for me it's not such a big deal. I'm pretty
> sure Google and NSA and Facebook know more about me than I do, even if I
> studiously use DuckDuckGo (which is probably a trigger word).

As Jay explained we shouldn't actively contribute to their power.  Anyway, this problem has been fixed.

> Someone said that they couldn't find the manual -- I found it very
> quickly under "HELP". I usually look for "Documentation" first, but
> "Help" seemed a reasonable second guess.

At least two of us overlooked the top bar the first time, including myself, and neither of us is a novice in web-browsing.  This is very strong evidence that there must be something wrong with the design.  This bar is more important than everything else on the page, so it should be very visible.  In fact I'd go as far as to say that a single-line bar isn't even sufficient.

For example the NixOS projects should be visible all the time.  They are our bread and butter.

> So, thanks for working on this -- I appreciate it, FWIW.

Don't get me wrong.  I do appreciate the work, but the process behind it was completely wrong.  The website was switched before the community even had a chance to review it.  I'd ask all committers to pay more attention to what the community says before applying patches.

Greets,
Ertugrul

--
Ertugrul Söylemez <ertesx at gmx.de>