[Nix-dev] scons

Bjørn Forsman bjorn.forsman at gmail.com
Sun May 25 18:13:04 CEST 2014

On 25 May 2014 17:59, S3 <scubed2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> What is the currently preferred way to build something using scons?
> I looked around for package examples and found globulation2.
> https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/pkgs/games/globulation/default.nix
> But, if I do
> nix-shell pkgs -A globulation2
> I don't have scons in my PATH.
> Is that the right way to do it?
> How would I debug such a package?  (In the sense of
> https://nixos.org/wiki/Create_and_debug_nix_packages
> )

I see that globulation2 uses builderDefsPackage instead of
stdenv.mkDerivation. I'm not familiar with builderDefsPackage, but my
impression is that it is deprecated. At least all new packages use
mkDerivation.

A package using mkDerivation and having scons in buildInputs will give
you scons in PATH when using nix-shell. Try "nix-shell -A gpsd" for
example.

Best regards,
Bjørn Forsman