[Nix-dev] neo4j and clojure

Luca Bruno lethalman88 at gmail.com
Thu May 22 16:53:20 CEST 2014

On 22/05/2014 11:22, Catonano wrote:
> Hello people,
>
> I'm getting my feet wet with nix installed in my home folder in a
> Fedora box.
>
> I want to explore neo4j but it requires the Oracle java JDK that is
> NOT the OpenJdk I commonly use on my machine.
>
> I was wondering if nix based tech could help me.
>
> I'd love to have neo4j installed in isolation from the rest of my
> Fedora environment, with its own dependencies (even the Oracle thing).
>
> I'd use it to get acquainted with it
>
> Probably in a later step I'd snapshot/reproduce that combination of
> packages/configuration in a virtual machine and later I could move the
> thing on a cloud.
>
> Is this idea sane or did I completely equivocate the sense of nix ?
>
> I see in nixpkgs there's no neo4j package, so I suppose I should add
> it myself.
That's exactly nix, yes. You define your own packages, your own jdk,
your own neo4j, then build.

> How hard could it be ?
I personally haven't seen java packages with nix, sure you must start by
looking at existing java packages in nix:
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/tree/master/pkgs/development/libraries/java
Apparently, it's just:
1. Fetch jars
2. Put them in $out
No java compilation involved.

Then that's how you create appilcations requiring libraries:
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/pkgs/development/interpreters/clojure/default.nix

Basically, you create a wrapper program that calls a particular java
with some particular jar.