[Nix-dev] Mate Desktop on NixOS - some help needed

Anderson Torres torres.anderson.85 at gmail.com
Sat May 17 21:34:50 CEST 2014

Hello, Nixers!

Well, since I use NixOS, I feel the desire and necessity to package Mate
Desktop (http://mate-desktop.org/). I am a bit lazy and not so
self-confident, however. Anyway, I need to do it - and started the task
today!

My idea was initially to use some of Gnome{2,3} or KDE 4.x constructions in
all-packages.nix. But they are very complicated to me, and I am not so
confident to use them. So I just 'hacked' the e17 expression, changing e17
to Mate:

[file=nixpkgs/top-level/all-packages.nix]
  mate = recurseIntoAttrs (
    let callPackage = newScope pkgs.mate; in
    import ../desktops/mate { inherit callPackage pkgs; }
  );
[/file]

I am starting small: first, compile mate-common, then add packages one at
time.

[file=nixpkgs/desktops/mate/default.nix]
{ callPackage, pkgs }:
rec {
  mate-common = callPackage ./core/mate-common.nix;
}
[/file]

[file=nixpkgs/desktops/mate/core/mate-common.nix]
{ stdenv, fetchurl, pkgconfig, gtk-doc }:

stdenv.mkDerivation rec {

  name = "mate-common-${version}";
  version = "1.9.0";

  src = fetchurl {
    url = "http://pub.mate-desktop.org/releases/1.9/${name}.tar.xz";
    sha256 = "0f2k9xv22amihdq3kdvzn2na7vcf36j5b7sg9hmpnx88jccn3z3m";
  };

  meta = {
    description = "MATE Core development macros";
    homepage = http://mate-desktop.org/;
    license = stdenv.lib.licenses.gpl21;
  };
}
[/file]

When I run a shell, it barfs:

$ nix-shell --dry-run --show-trace --max-jobs 1 nixpkgs/default.nix -A
mate.mate-common
error: expression does not evaluate to a derivation (or a set or list of
those)

I am a bit confused. What am I doing wrong?