[Nix-dev] Using Nixpkgs outside of NixOS

Michael Raskin 7c6f434c at mail.ru
Wed Jun 4 10:44:50 CEST 2014

>Hm, I wasn't following the kernel ml on this, but from the systemd's
>document it follows that there has to be _exactly one_ writer to this
>filesystem and this is a restriction forced by the kernel. systemd's
>decision is that it will be PID 1, not some other process. On non-systemd
>systems that can be some other root process, not necessarily PID 1, but
>only one.

Actually, SystemD document actually means «we know no good way to manage
this in SystemD-friendly manner without having it all inside a single
process»

There is a general recommendation that cgroups management is reasonably
coordinated, but it is not kernel style to enforce as strict a policy
as a single writer process. Strict built-in policies usually come from
SystemD and not from kernel, as a rule of the thumb.

If we look at the work-in-progress documentation from the kernel
developers

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.containers/27701/

the last chapter explicitly discusses much weaker measures.

Putting a planned changes section with

«
Requiring CAP is not a complete solution but should serve as a
significant deterrent against spraying cgroup usages in non-privileged
programs.
»

doesn't sound like «a single writer process» to me.