[Nix-dev] New website

Eelco Dolstra eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com
Mon Jun 2 15:58:01 CEST 2014

Hi Wout,

On 01/06/14 09:58, Wout Mertens wrote:

>   * Nixpkgs should be more visible

Actually, a major goal in the redesign was to *get rid* of all the non-NixOS
stuff. It's the NixOS homepage, after all, not the Nixpkgs homepage. Confronting
visitors with a lot of other projects is just confusing.

I actually considered removing the Projects menu in the navbar, since it's not
really useful. (E.g. if you want the patchelf page, you can just google for it.)

It would be nice to have a "Packages" link in the navbar though, like on
archlinux.org, linking to a easily browseable list of available packages. Also,
the front page could have a blurb about the number of packages available in
NixOS, which could link to Nixpkgs.

>   * The front page is serving new visitors and active users, it should pick one.

I considered removing all the news from the homepage, but 1) it seems useful to
show activity on the homepage, just to convey that the project is alive; 2)
visitors don't have to read it, it's easy to mentally filter it, so I felt it
doesn't hurt much to have it there.

>       o Front page mostly for active users: https://www.archlinux.org/
>         http://www.gentoo.org/
>       o Front page mostly for discovery/downloads: http://videolan.org

Videolan.org actually has a pretty similar layout to nixos.org: a description +
big download button, followed by news/blogs.

--
Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://nixos.org/~eelco/