[Nix-dev] New website

Wout Mertens wout.mertens at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 09:58:10 CEST 2014

On Sun, Jun 1, 2014 at 2:19 AM, Eelco Dolstra <eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com>
wrote:

> Obligatory link: http://shouldiuseacarousel.com/

To be fair, this carousel doesn't stop on mouseover, and it complains that
users don't interact with them. I see carousels more as a highlighter for
lazy visitors. They should be visual, contain few words, and repeat what's
on the page elsewhere. They're like the ad space in a subway station -
peripheral information infusion. Anyway :)

To recap the conversation so far:

Only agreements:

   - "Help" should be "Documentation" => Pull request sent
   - Nixpkgs should be more visible
   - I propose splitting the NixOS blurb between Nixpkgs and NixOS equally,
      with [Learn More] buttons on each

Under discussion:

   - The front page is serving new visitors and active users, it should
   pick one.
   - Front page mostly for active users: https://www.archlinux.org/
      http://www.gentoo.org/
      - Front page mostly for discovery/downloads: http://videolan.org
      http://mozilla.org http://foundation.zurb.com/
      - Mix: http://www.gnome.org/ http://kde.org/
      http://www.libreoffice.org/
      - I prefer the Gnome setup: A blurb for gnome+more info/download, a
      small section of news, and links to parts of the site specialized in each.

Contention:

   -
*For project discovery, a 2-minute video is excellent. I've spent many a
   2-5 minute with colleagues watching a video about some project we were
   discovering. *
      - Several people dislike videos, and the conversation centered about
      20+minute videos.
      - I really mean TWO minutes. You click, you get a whirlwind tour of
      nixpkgs and nixos, done.
      - Highlights could be:
         - install another version of something side-by-side with the one
         in your aging distribution, in a few keystrokes
         - ls -l /bin /sbin /usr on NixOS - nothing!
         - Upgrade from 14.04 to unstable - and go back!
         - Environments: Python 2/3, Ruby, Haskell? (don't know much about
         these)

Wout.