[Nix-dev] New website

Ertugrul Söylemez ertesx at gmx.de
Sun Jun 1 19:44:32 CEST 2014

On Sat, 31 May 2014 17:29:12 -0700
"M. P. Ashton" <data at imap.cc> wrote:

> > > I don't mind the new website at all. I think it looks nice, and it does
> > > seem more professional than the old one.
> >
> > If you need to look like some Enter Prise Service (typos intended) to
> > deserve the "professional" label, I'm happy to look unprofessional.
> [...]
>
> I'm afraid I must not have written very clearly. I certainly didn't
> intend to imply that you were wrong about anything. I just thought I'd
> tell Dr Dolstra and the list about my own experience, since it was
> obviously very different to yours and the other fellow's. (And was also
> not "wrong".) I'm sorry for the confusion.
>
> As I'm sure you and the other knowledgeable participants will have no
> trouble working out these weighty matters amongst yourselves, and I
> actually don't care that much about this anyway, I'll just step aside
> and let you all do that.

No worries, I didn't mean to be offensive.  This is not about my experience, but about my opinion, and I'm just stating that we do not have to follow the lead of large websites, particularly since the goal of our website is to convey useful information.  It does not provide a web service in the traditional sense.

The new website does have a few new features, but most of them look like stopgaps to me, like the commit history, which isn't really useful on the home page.  I would prefer the subprojects themselves to take most of the space with a very short introduction at the top.

Greets,
Ertugrul

--
Ertugrul Söylemez <ertesx at gmx.de>