[Nix-dev] Nixos basic Qs

emil.rangden at chas.se emil.rangden at chas.se
Thu Jul 31 23:30:56 CEST 2014

On 2014-07-31 22:45, Ben B wrote:
> - I have xmonad as my window manager, and it defaults to slim as
> display
> manager/login gadget.  My problem is that one of those two opens a
> terminal
> by default.  If you type 'exit' into that terminal it kiboshes all open
> programs and exits the window manager.  If you open other terminals you
> can
> close those normally without such dire consequences.  Unfortunately
> there's
> no way to distinguish these from the special initial terminal.  Can I
> just
> start xmonad without this extra 'terminal' terminal?  How is that
> configured?  I can't seem to find slim.conf anywhere, assuming that's
> where
> I would configure that behavior.

I'm using the same setup.

     desktopManager.default = "none";
     desktopManager.xterm.enable = false;
     windowManager.default = "xmonad";

Solved it for me. It seems the display manager looks for a session which
is a
combination of the desktopManager and windowManager defaults. If I
recall correctly
it was also possible to toggle between sessions using some key
combination.