[Nix-dev] Nixos basic Qs

Luca Bruno lethalman88 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 22:54:01 CEST 2014

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 10:45 PM, Ben B <bburdette at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just started using nixos.  So far a positive experience.

Welcome.

> I do have a few basic questions:
>
> - is there a way to list the files that were installed by a package?

Look into /nix/store/path-of-your-package

>  The
> files that would be installed by a package?  Is there a way to search for a
> package that would install a given file?

I don't think there's something like that, we miss some indexing engine.
Not sure.

> - is there a way to get the nix expression for a package?

No, I don't think so.

> - I have xmonad as my window manager, and it defaults to slim as display
> manager/login gadget.  My problem is that one of those two opens a terminal
> by default.  If you type 'exit' into that terminal it kiboshes all open
> programs and exits the window manager.  If you open other terminals you can
> close those normally without such dire consequences.  Unfortunately there's
> no way to distinguish these from the special initial terminal.  Can I just
> start xmonad without this extra 'terminal' terminal?  How is that
> configured?  I can't seem to find slim.conf anywhere, assuming that's where
> I would configure that behavior.

Try changing display manager to something like lightdm. Also, in slim you
can choose the session, I think there's an xmonad session.

> - the 'locate' command doesn't work.  According to google I should run
> updatedb to make it work, however that gives me a 'readonly filesystem'
> error.

Find your way in the nixos manual :)