[Nix-dev] Nixos basic Qs

Ben B bburdette at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 22:45:44 CEST 2014

Just started using nixos.  So far a positive experience.

I do have a few basic questions:

- is there a way to list the files that were installed by a package?  The
files that would be installed by a package?  Is there a way to search for a
package that would install a given file?

- is there a way to get the nix expression for a package?

- I have xmonad as my window manager, and it defaults to slim as display
manager/login gadget.  My problem is that one of those two opens a terminal
by default.  If you type 'exit' into that terminal it kiboshes all open
programs and exits the window manager.  If you open other terminals you can
close those normally without such dire consequences.  Unfortunately there's
no way to distinguish these from the special initial terminal.  Can I just
start xmonad without this extra 'terminal' terminal?  How is that
configured?  I can't seem to find slim.conf anywhere, assuming that's where
I would configure that behavior.

- the 'locate' command doesn't work.  According to google I should run
updatedb to make it work, however that gives me a 'readonly filesystem' error.

that's all for now.  Thx!

Ben