[Nix-dev] Low-hanging fruit in NixOS for aspiring developer

phreedom at yandex.ru phreedom at yandex.ru
Sat Dec 6 13:12:12 CET 2014

On Saturday, December 06, 2014 12:02:16 Albin Stjerna wrote:
> I'm thinking about getting involved in NixOS, and I'm looking for good
> places to start learning, beyond trying out NixOS and reading the manual
> and the papers. Are there any packaging efforts or other low-hanging fruit
> in particular that I could look at?
>
> Also, I'd like to mention that I'm considering a rather serious long-term
> committment to NixOS if things work out, though I'm waiting for Gnome to
> become slightly more stable before transitioning full-time on my main
> computer. I am particularly interested in using/participating in the
> development of a system  that is developed and tested as an organic whole,
> rather than as a core system plus packages, and from what I can tell NixOS
> seems to have great potential in this area.

A very good idea would be to actually try using nixos for as much stuff as
possible(on a separate machine, server, vm) and fix the things you don't like
or add the things you miss. Yes, some of the problems you will encounter might
be a bit hard at first but I'm pretty sure you'll find those low-hanging
fruits too.

This will both motivate you the most and make nixos a good fit specifically
for you.