[Nix-dev] systemd in initrd

Nicolas Pierron nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 17:28:09 CEST 2014

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 5:17 PM, Luca Bruno <lethalman88 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22/08/2014 17:01, Nicolas Pierron wrote:
>>  I do not see any reason
>> for not having a trivial backend for jobs-entries which just assert
>> that these additional options are not used.
> Can you rephrase? I didn't understand, sorry.

I am just saying, that I do not see why we could not use the jobs
syntax on top of a string-dependency system which is used by the
activation script.

Systemd solves job dependencies dynamically to benefit from the kernel
scheduling, while the activation scripts are concatenated ahead to
make a single & simple activation process.

I think there is no need to ""always"" bring the complexity of systemd
to the init process, this could be optional.  What I suggest is to
have a 2 backends for the init process.  The systemd one, and the
string-dependency one.  Of course, the string-dependency backend would
have to assert (while building the system) about cases which cannot be
handled.

--
Nicolas Pierron
http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicolasbpierron - http://nbp.name/