[Nix-dev] ghcWithPackages

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Wed Aug 20 12:39:45 CEST 2014

On 08/20/2014 10:44 AM, Tim Barbour wrote:
> This message somehow did not make it to the list, so I am sending it again:
>
> Mateusz Kowalczyk writes:
>  > [...]
>  > haskellPackages_ghc783.ghcWithPackages should work just fine, I just
>  > tried it myself. Considering haskellPackages.ghcWithPackages gives you
>  > 7.6.3, it simply makes me think that you have an old set of packages. On
>  > nixos-unstable/nixpkgs-unstable, that would default to 7.8.3 and
>  > haskellPackages_ghc783.ghcWithPackages would work fine. That's what I
>  > use in my configuration.nix myself: I'm using nixos-unstable channel.
>
> That fixed it, thank you.
>
> Now I am wondering what the wisest choice of channel(s) is. I imagine the
> latest stable nixos for most things, but nixos-unstable for more experimental
> things (e.g. yi). Perhaps nixos-unstable for most Haskell packages ?  What
> determines the choice between the nixos channel and the nixpkgs channel ?
>
> Tim
> ---
> GPG public key available at:
> 	 http://phasechangeit.com/~trb/gpg-key  or
> 	 http://subkeys.pgp.net:11371

I just stay on nixos-unstable all the time, stable channel is just too
damn slow. I imagine one would get along fine on stable if they aren't a
programmer and just want smooth-cruising but if you need fairly recent
software then unstable is the way to go. Sometimes things break but not
often enough for it to ever be a problem. You can always rollback if
something doesn't work after an update anyway.

--
Mateusz K.