[Nix-dev] NixOS on MacBook dual boot

Alexey Muranov alexey.muranov at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 21:47:26 CEST 2014

Hello Paul,

On 12 août 2014, at 22:27, Paul Colomiets <paul at colomiets.name> wrote:

> I think it should just work. IIRC, you
> need to bless the nixos kernel from mac os. You don't need another EFI
> partition, nixos should put it's own kernel into existing EFI
> partition, just mount it as /boot.

thank you for the answer, i suspected it might work like that.  However, according to what i've read in Wikipedia, Apple firmware updates use the EFI System Partition, so i am worried that a firmware update may break the NixOS boot loader.  (Maybe this is not a big deal, but it would not look like a proper way to do it.)  Do you know anything about it by any chance?  Also, the recommeded ESP partition size was 500 MB, but mine is 200 MB, so i imagine a firmware update might not have enough space to work.

As i am not particualrly exeprienced, could you tell me please how the nixos kernel will be named?

What would you recommend as a boot manager?  Do i need to set `boot.loader.gummiboot.enable = true`?

Alexey.