[Nix-dev] Vim setup for Haskell

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Mon Aug 4 12:39:25 CEST 2014

Excerpts from Thomas Strobel's message of Mon Aug 04 07:09:11 +0000 2014:
> The idea behind 'hvim' is to have a single package which installs vim
> with some stuff that is helpful for Haskell development, without having
> to understand how nixos or vimrc work.
Learning Vim take so much time that unerstanding .vimrc is trivial, sry.
For that reason that is your way, but not mine ..

> Especially it should allow to distribute adjusted or modified programs
> and plugins which work together nicely.

> I know about your vim-addon-manager project and your maintained
> collection of vim plugins for nix**.
No, I don't maintain it. I just tried to get the basics right, so that
people who would have added vim stuff anyway get it right.

In fact I think there is one thing missing to have a perfect software
distribution: Authors taking care themselves.

VAM is in maintainance mode for two reasons:
  - there will be neovimm
  - I'll be creating this as soon as I have time: https://github.com/code-once/ypm

The idea I want to explore is whether it is possible to create a huge
database with recipes so that you can turn those cross language recipes
into .nix derivation or *any distro package specification*
automatcially.

Eg updating kde/xorg/gnome is always a lot of work. That's why I want
to fix this once and forall.

Eg there are combinations Vim & Ocaml &YouCompleteMe which requires
recompliing vim (with py support) and running ocamlopt to get a working
setup. VAM will never be up to that task.

Thus if you like idea behind YPM or want to sponsor it just star it or
let me know :)

Marc Weber