[Nix-dev] How to handle Repositories which don't keep old versions?

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sat Sep 28 12:14:44 CEST 2013

Excerpts from Moritz Ulrich's message of Fri Sep 27 17:09:30 +0200 2013:
> My question is: What's the best way to handle this? I personally have
> no problem hosting a mirror which keeps old versions, but I want to
> ask if you guys have other suggestions.

In the past there has been a script "fetch all sources" so that they
don't go away. But it was never run often enough?

If you do it the way python/emacs does the following should be true:
- people trust you as packager
- its easy to comment why you use your mirror
- you can use two urls.

So what about:

1) document it:
# using my own server as fallback, because new source versions cause
# older versions to be deleted...

2) keep original url, but add your own as mirror:
  package = {
    urls = [ original-url  your-mirror-url ];
  }

Don't think you can do much better.

Marc Weber