[Nix-dev] Merging x-updates

James Cook james.cook at utoronto.ca
Mon Sep 9 20:19:27 CEST 2013

On 9 September 2013 02:51, Vladimír Čunát <vcunat at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/09/2013 03:33 AM, James Cook wrote:
>>
>> Just tried x-updates, and X won't start any more.  Is anyone else
>> using the open source AMD driver?
>>
>> There's something in the X log about "dlopen of /lib/dri/swrast_dri.so
>> failed", since the file doesn't exist.  Hopefully I'll have time later
>> to look into this.
>

> That is strange, as nothing related to path search has changed. The drivers
> are configured by passing --with-dri-searchpath pointing to
> /run/opengl-driver{,-32} (depending on your platform). I even verified that
> the source still uses the the path on dlopen. The link should be setup when
> starting X server (nixos does that).
>
> More info from logs could help.

Oops, looks like the dlopen error also happened when X was working.
Here's X.0.log on a successful run:
  https://gist.github.com/falsifian/6499433
I'm away from my machine right now, but I'll post the log file for an
unsuccessful run when I get a chance.

>>> What's preventing stdenv-updates from being merged in?
>>

>> There are a few linking errors mentioned in
>> https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/909 and vcunat's comment.
>

> These errors are just on stdenv-updates, not x-updates.
>
> Are you sure you were testing x-updates and not stdenv-updates? (Although
> there was no change around these things either AFAIK.)

I've been looking at both branches.  I'm fairly sure #909 was from
stdenv-updates and the X error was from x-updates.