[Nix-dev] FW: Qt Creator issues

Baptist BENOIST return_0 at live.com
Wed May 29 00:47:18 CEST 2013

I have forgotten the cc. Here is my reply:

From: return_0 at live.com
To: bjorn.forsman at gmail.com
Subject: RE: [Nix-dev] Qt Creator issues
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 20:56:24 +0000

Hi,
I wrote the QtCreator derivation a few months ago but did not used it recently...
> Today I tried using Qt Creator in NixOS. I found two issues:
>
> The first issue is that there is no way to create applications from
> File -> New File or Project. On Ubuntu I have an "Applications" entry
> just above the "Libraries" entry. On NixOS the "Applications" entry is
> missing. I suspect this is related to this error that is spewed all
> over the terminal (100 times or so) after clicking on File -> New File
> or Project:
>
>     Cannot update Qt version information:
> /nix/store/0g7rv5wclspqz80pb2dkjxqxf2651xar-qt-4.8.3/bin/qmake cannot
> be run.
This message is not prompted on a clean and up to date configuration (see the attached screenshot).If this can help, mine is based on the version 4.8.4 of Qt4 qt4_for_qtcreator...
Anyways, I do not have the applications entry too.I only used this application to open CMake projects and did not saw that the Applications entry was missing because I only opened existing projects.
> The path it refers to doesn't exist. (And building qtcreator again
> from source still refers to the same broken nix store path! I need to
> confirm this.)

> The second issue is that there are no examples in the examples tab; it
> is empty. I think this should fix itself if qt is built with examples
> & demos. (Because skimming over the source it seems that Qt knows
> where the demos & examples are installed, so qtcreator can ask the
> library.)

Facts that examples are not defaultly present is not really an issue.As examples are optional for disk usage reasons (which I totally agree as an heavy VM user) on other distros such as ArchLinux and debian (maybe not ubuntu), and because I did not need it, I did not tried to add examples.
> I tried to build qt4_for_qtcreator without "-nomake examples> -nomake demos", but that didn't do it. It didn't even make qt install
> the examples & demos in $out. Well, that's confusing.
Did you tried with "-make examples -make demos"?According to the derivation (I did not wrote the Qt one, only occasional maintaining), examples should be installed in $out/share/doc/${name}/examples.
I only wrote this derivation because it was non-existing and I needed it for my own usage, if you want to contribute by improving it, you are welcome =)
When I will have enough time (I unfortunately cannot give you a precise date), I will update it to the version 2.7.1. Maybe that the Applications entry will be working as intended. You can even create an issue on github if you want to work/discuss on it with commits ;-)
Hope this helps,
Baptist