[Nix-dev] cannot start worker (unexpected end-of-file)

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Mon Mar 25 20:48:13 CET 2013

Lluís Batlle i Rossell <viric at viric.name> writes:
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 01:29:26PM +0100, Eelco Dolstra wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 18/03/13 22:51, Lluís Batlle i Rossell wrote:
>>
>> > The trouble happens because "nixos-rebuild boot" will use your nix 1.5 to
>> > communicate with your nix 1.2 daemon.
>> >
>> > When I see there is a nix update, I usually prefer to use "nixos-rebuild boot
>> > --no-build-nix", so the store doesn't get updated to a new version.
>> >
>> > If the store gets updated to a new db version, and the following nixos build
>> > fails, you end up in your state: the next nixos-rebuild run won't understand
>> > the store.
>>
>> FWIW, nixos-rebuild tries hard to prevent this situation.  It only uses the new
>> Nix for evaluation, not for accessing the store; the old daemon is used for
>> that.  So the schema should not be upgraded.
>
> Right, but I remember in my case (and maybe others') it deadlocked, I stopped the
> daemon, and then 'tried' to rebuild nixos. :)

I was in the same situation.

Could upgrading nix be one action, where a new system generation with a
new nix is created? On top of that you can then upgrade the system. Or
the other way round as you suggested.

Having nix and system upgrade in one action calls for trouble.

--
Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net>
  GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083
Jabber/XMPP: flo at chaoflow.net
IRC: chaoflow on freenode,ircnet,blafasel,OFTC