[Nix-dev] wiki and utf-8 characters

phreedom at yandex.ru phreedom at yandex.ru
Sat Mar 23 14:33:24 CET 2013

On Суббота 23 марта 2013 14:00:35 Cillian de Róiste wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Joachim Schiele <js at lastlog.de> wrote:
> > http://muse-sequencer.org/index.php?title=Special:UserLogin&returnto=Man
> > ual%3ASpecial+pages&type=signup
> >
> > i've fixed it like this on muse-sequencer.org and ppl need to ask on the
> > ml for a new account
>
> I guess we could also set up a separate repo on github just for the
> wiki and be very liberal about giving out write access and admin
> rights for it. That would solve the issue of requiring write access to
> either the nixpkgs or nixos repos in order to be able to contribute to
> the wiki. For people concerned about github lock-in, this would
> however still be make it more convenient for people with github
> accounts to contribute. I guess there is nothing stopping people from
> hosting their repos elsewhere and being merged as necessary.
>
> More people seem to be familiar with ikiwiki than the github wiki
> system (gollum). Should we go with ikiwiki then? Is someone willing
> and able to maintain an instance of that on nixos.org?

It isn't about familiarity. If you want to let users edit the wiki via http,
gollum doesn't offer it at all. If the wiki repo is hosted at github, you don't
even need to run a gollum instance on nixos.org. You can simply decide that
nixpkgs/wiki is the dir where the wiki is stored and github will happily
render the articles as html.

This was the reason I asked about the quantity/quality of contributions from
people outside of the nixos core community. Do we really lose anything by
getting rid of the conventional wiki interface?

And of course, ikiwiki can be installed anytime and made to work with our repo
should for example nixos become more mainstream.

So ikiwiki involvement is orthogonal to the way we want the wiki stored: a
subdir of nixpkgs or a separate repo with less vetting for commit access.