[Nix-dev] wiki and utf-8 characters

Cillian de Róiste cillian.deroiste at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 14:00:35 CET 2013

On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Joachim Schiele <js at lastlog.de> wrote:
> http://muse-sequencer.org/index.php?title=Special:UserLogin&returnto=Manual%3ASpecial+pages&type=signup
>
> i've fixed it like this on muse-sequencer.org and ppl need to ask on the
> ml for a new account

I guess we could also set up a separate repo on github just for the
wiki and be very liberal about giving out write access and admin
rights for it. That would solve the issue of requiring write access to
either the nixpkgs or nixos repos in order to be able to contribute to
the wiki. For people concerned about github lock-in, this would
however still be make it more convenient for people with github
accounts to contribute. I guess there is nothing stopping people from
hosting their repos elsewhere and being merged as necessary.

More people seem to be familiar with ikiwiki than the github wiki
system (gollum). Should we go with ikiwiki then? Is someone willing
and able to maintain an instance of that on nixos.org?

> On 03/23/2013 12:03 PM, Marc Weber wrote:
>> For completness: I think that protecting the "create new user" feature
>> by htaccess, and documenting it (even with password) on the wiki would
>> be enough to keep spam bots away.
>>
>> That can be done without updating media wiki should not take much time
>> either.

That sounds like a great idea regardless of whether we stick with
Mediawiki or not.

Is it possible/easy to delete content from every contributor who isn't
on a whitelist, or is there some other convenient way to clean it up?
Is there anything I can do to help?