[Nix-dev] i3 to 4.5.1 and Pango fonts

Rok Garbas rok at garbas.si
Tue Mar 19 13:40:56 CET 2013

hi Pablo,

Quoting Pablo Costa (2013-03-19 12:41:00)
> Hello everybody, and Rok in special!
>
> I want to have antialiased fonts on the i3 window manager.
>
> For some reason, the current nix expression includes a sed command to get rid
> of the Pango support.

this was done in oct 2012 since we were stuck with cairo 1.10.x then and xcb
only got stable in 1.12.x ... check aszlig's commit
a99367ba2480911a3bf2321358714aca7e3ae889.

but this is not the case anymore, default version is 1.12.4 right now.

> There is also a funny override for Cairo on the i3lock package, in pkgs/
> top-level/all-packages.nix:
>
> i3 = callPackage ../applications/window-managers/i3 { };
> i3lock = callPackage ../applications/window-managers/i3/lock.nix { cairo =
> cairo.override { xcbSupport = true; }; };
> i3status = callPackage ../applications/window-managers/i3/status.nix { };
>
> Is there any reason for the override not to be on pkgs/applications/
> window-managers/i3/lock.nix? Having it on all-packages.nix sounds to me like a
> temporary workaround.

i wouldn't consider this a temporary fix. also many other packages are
overriding it like this. we might consider turning it on by default (since its
stable now) but not sure how this affects other packages using cairo.

> Would the override make sense also on pkgs/applications/window-managers/
> default.nix for i3 wm itself?

yes, makes total sense now.

> Certainly not on the i3status package as it does not render anything, it just
> prepares the text for the i3bar.
>
> I added the "pango" dependency and removed the sed command that prevented it
> from being used.
> I also updated the version number and hash of the wm to the recently released
> 4.5.1. Please find the release notes below.
>
> Would you mind having a look at it and giving some feedback or advice?

+1 feel free to commit it or send pull request if you dont a

--
Rok Garbas - http://www.garbas.si