[Nix-dev] Is ALSA_PLUGINS_DIR being honoured?

Carles Pagès page.lists at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 10:21:58 CET 2013

Debugging a bit, I found out that ALSA_PLUGIN_DIRS is only used in some
code paths. By setting 'lib' in asound.conf, the plugin dirs var is
ignored, but I found in the archlinux wiki an alternative configuration to
make alsa use pa:
pcm.pulse {
  type pulse
}

By using this instead of the pcm_type.pulse {lib...}, and pointing
ALSA_PLUGIN_DIRS to the proper path, everything works and this can easily
be overriden by i686 apps. Can we use this configuration then?

I looked at the value set for ALSA_PLUGIN_DIRS, which points to the current
profiles lib dirs. I'm not sure, though, why the alsa plugins are not
symlinked in there or if they should be at all. Anyone?