[Nix-dev] Is ALSA_PLUGINS_DIR being honoured?

Carles Pagès page.lists at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 20:32:54 CET 2013

Hi,

Trying to make the flashplayer plugin work in steam, I discovered all the
tricks that we have in place for sound to work in nixos. However, I'm not
sure the patch we have for ALSA_PLUGINS_DIR is working.

I have pulseaudio enabled in nixos, and I saw that packages that don't
understand pa get routed to it anyway through the config in
/etc/asound.conf. The problem comes when the app in question is x86 and my
system is x86_64, as the plugins obviously fail to load (this is why skype
sound was failing without pa enabled).

To cut a long story short, I tried hand-editing /etc/asound.conf to remove
the absolute path, and only leave the plugin.so name there. I then did some
tests with mplayer which lets me easily choose the audio output, by setting
ALSA_PLUGINS_DIR pointing to alsaplugins path. Result: no sound. I did an
strace and the plugins are not searched in there. I did a quick test adding
the alsaplugins path to LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and sound was working again.

So,  did I get anything wrong or is the ALSA_PLUGINS_DIR trick not working?