[Nix-dev] packaging razor-qt, how to deal with /etc/xdg/ and such

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 17:07:41 CET 2013

On 02/18/2013 10:50 PM, Bjørn Forsman wrote:
> I'm trying to build razor-qt (a small desktop environment written in
> Qt) for nix. I quickly bumped into issues during the install phase:
> razor-qt tries to write stuff to /etc/xdg/{menus,autostart,razor} and
> /usr/share/{xsession,apps/kdm/sessions}. And that doesn't go well on
> NixOS. Any suggestions on how to handle packages that adheres to the
> XDG standard like that (and those (x)session paths?). Is there a way
> to patch it that is (probably) acceptable upstream?
>
> Yesterday I did a quick patch (to replace those absolute paths with
> variables) and sent a pull request to razor-qt devs[1]. But apparently
> it is not that simple. So now I'm trying to read up on the XDG basedir
> and autostart specification and wondering how it all fits into NixOS.
> Any hints (or code!) appreciated :-)

It is sure that all these files *have to* go somewhere into $out. Some
packages need to be patched to force them and upstream may not
understand our reasons (we don't comply LSB, etc.).

I believe we're putting this stuff in $out/etc/xdg currently (Xfce
packages do). However, I don't know how much these get used (and for
example gtk icon cache is currently only generated for NixOS
environmentPackages and not user's env).

IMHO you're going to use much of these paths only for the session code
in the corresponding NixOS module.

Vlada