[Nix-dev] packaging razor-qt, how to deal with /etc/xdg/ and such

Bjørn Forsman bjorn.forsman at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 22:50:26 CET 2013

Hi,

I'm trying to build razor-qt (a small desktop environment written in
Qt) for nix. I quickly bumped into issues during the install phase:
razor-qt tries to write stuff to /etc/xdg/{menus,autostart,razor} and
/usr/share/{xsession,apps/kdm/sessions}. And that doesn't go well on
NixOS. Any suggestions on how to handle packages that adheres to the
XDG standard like that (and those (x)session paths?). Is there a way
to patch it that is (probably) acceptable upstream?

Yesterday I did a quick patch (to replace those absolute paths with
variables) and sent a pull request to razor-qt devs[1]. But apparently
it is not that simple. So now I'm trying to read up on the XDG basedir
and autostart specification and wondering how it all fits into NixOS.
Any hints (or code!) appreciated :-)

[1]: https://github.com/Razor-qt/razor-qt/pull/557