[Nix-dev] Suggest package to install

Bjørn Forsman bjorn.forsman at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 21:44:54 CET 2013

On 17 February 2013 21:22, Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de> wrote:
>>   nix-env -i hello
>
> Please also have a look at the wiki article "how to keep multiple packages up to date"
>
> With -i you may miss some situations such as packages getting dropped
> when updating your system which is why I don't use it for most packages.

Ok. I didn't know about that. I guess I had planned, once I get past
the learning phase (i.e running nixos in virtualbox), to use
environment.systemPackages. Are "collection package" (as the wiki
says) the best way to handle *user installed* programs, whereas
environment.systemPackages is best for *system wide* installed
programs?