[Nix-dev] test version bumps before sending pull request

Lluís Batlle i Rossell viric at viric.name
Sun Feb 17 13:57:49 CET 2013

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 01:32:41PM +0100, Bjørn Forsman wrote:
> I have bumped the file program from 5.04 to 5.12 in my own nixpkgs
> repo. It built just fine but now I wonder if any other packages may
> depend on it and potentially break. I guess the file utility is pretty
> stable, but I'd like to know, in general, how to test that the
> dependent packages also build. Is there a command to find reverse
> dependencies for a package?
>
> Is it ok to send pull request when only the bumped program has been
> build tested?

Ha, if you knew how we commit things! Fortunately, most errors on update happen
at build time, and this means that 1) it will be detected by hydra, and 2)
people won't get a broken system, because the profiles won't switch.

As it's difficult to test some changes, nix atomicity on updates helps a lot not
breaking anything in user systems.

Regards,
Lluís.