[Nix-dev] nixops deploy to vbox waiting for ip address indefinitely

Patrick Wheeler patrick.john.wheeler at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 22:26:54 CET 2013

> waiting for IP address........

I got this response when trying to boot a virtualbox machine, through
nixops, on vmware fusion and at one point on an ec2 instance. Though I can
not longer reproduce this on ec2, now gets stuck attaching the disk.

The first time I tried it on a dedicated server with linux running on the
metal it worked the first time.

> the virtualbox gui pops up and a machine is started, I can see the grub
menu
appear briefly, but then the command hangs at

I also got this when trying it on vmware, but never have been able to take
the time to find out exactly where things go wrong.

I am currently running nixops 1.2, but I believe the behavior existed back
when nixops was charon.

So if by chance you have not tried it on the metal yet it might be worth a
shot.  Hope that helps.

Patrick

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 11:28 PM, Sönke Hahn <SoenkeHahn at gmail.com> wrote:

> A colleague of mine told me that in the vm there should at least be a
> system
> booting up to a text based console. This is not happening for me. So the
> problem does not seem to stem from a network misconfiguration, but from a
> more general issue with the disk image...
>

> Sönke Hahn wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am trying to get the trivial example from the nixops manual to work
> > ([1]) on a spawned virtualbox machine. I tried to do everything according
> > to the manual. When issuing the command
> >
> > # nixops deploy -d trivial
> >
> > the virtualbox gui pops up and a machine is started, I can see the grub
> > menu appear briefly, but then the command hangs at
> >
> > webserver> waiting for IP address........
> >
> > and just continues to output dots.
> >
> > I did some investigating and found that the python code that is nixops
> > executes another command:
> >
> > # VBoxManage guestproperty get
> > # nixops-36f68870-6be3-11e3-9b1e-f0def1f76f2d-
> > webserver /VirtualBox/GuestInfo/Net/1/V4/IP
> >
> > which (both when executed through python or manually) results in
> >
> > No value set!
> >
> > This seems to be some problem with my virtualbox setup, but I wasn't able
> > to find help on this searching the web. I guess that there are a lot
> > people here on this list who do similar stuff so that's why I am asking
> > here: Any advice? Did I miss something obvious?
> >
> > Here's some additional info:
> >
> > OS: Ubuntu 13.10
> > virtualbox: 4.2.16-dfsg-3 (installed from the ubuntu repos)
> > nixops: 1.1.1
> > Running nixops as root.
> >
> > Thanks for any input,
> > Sönkee