[Nix-dev] Merging stdenv-updates soon?

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 13:37:52 CEST 2013

On 08/24/2013 02:40 PM, Peter Simons wrote:
> are there any issues left that would prevent us from merging the
> stdenv-updates branch? As far as I can tell, the branch is in pretty
> good shape.

Currently I see the biggest problems in the fact that gcc builds often
fail with some std::?stream linking error.

http://hydra.nixos.org/job/nixpkgs/stdenv/gcc48.x86_64-linux
http://hydra.nixos.org/job/nixpkgs/stdenv/stdenv.x86_64-darwin

The fact that stdenv builds despite that gcc48 doesn't is a complete
mystery to me (on x86_64-linux).

There are also some other very strange linking regressions against
master, e.g.:

http://hydra.nixos.org/job/nixpkgs/stdenv/popplerQt4.x86_64-linux
http://hydra.nixos.org/job/nixpkgs/stdenv/amule.x86_64-linux
(I've seen some others IIRC.)

I checked the poppler case, and the requested libraries *are* found by
ldd (as they are on RPATH), and interestingly they're reported as unused
by ldd -u.

_________
x-updates is IMHO mergeable. Mesa-9.2.0 update would be easy [mesa], but
I forgot that .1 is always first "stable" release. 9.2.1 can be expected
in about a month. Those who want the radeonsi driver or LLVM-accelerated
R600-based drivers are encouraged to test. There's probably not a
significant benefit for others, except if you're accidentally suffering
from some bug it fixes.

I suppose we don't need to rush with x-updates and want to wait for
stdenv-updates (merge both at once)?

[mesa] https://github.com/vcunat/nixpkgs/commits/vlada/mesa (topgit-managed)

Vlada