[Nix-dev] NixOS wiki

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Mon Apr 8 11:55:40 CEST 2013

Excerpts from Domen Kožar's message of Sun Apr 07 11:10:09 +0200 2013:
> I'd like to help with growing community, [..]
:-) Great.

> The major blocker is the wiki. Currently there is no way to register,
So start with RTFM:
https://nixos.org/wiki/Main_Page
-> "How to contribute to the nix wiki" (keep top)
-> "how to get an account"
which says:
quote "due to spam reasons you have to ask on the mailinglist"
If this fails at least two times, I join your party.

So do that and see whether it works, then complain :)
You're welcome with helping, but in order to provide good
documentation, RTFM is the first step, I'm afraid.

The SPAM issue was picked up by people being responsible in reasonable
time, and they took action - what else do you want?

I personally want UTF-8 support:
How to reproduce?
Add "Lluís" this to an article, then hit the "preview" button.

> - clean UI for non-technical users
Maybe we need two wikis then? Try describing how you'd change the UI so
that everybody "technical" understands what you're talking about.

> - some offline editing support (git)?
we talked about it - and we agree that there are ways - but also pay
attention to what Eelco said: He fears that the quality of the contents
of the wiki is not that great. So eventually start with telling us what
you would add, and why it is not possible or too much work to do it with
the current wiki.

> - markdown formatting support (for reasons that it's wide spread and most
> simple to explain)
As I said earlier: What do you need to be succesful with a wiki?
  - headlines
  - code blocks
  - links
Should be reasonably easiy to learn this using any wiki fast.

> PS: I have imported current wiki into github wiki, but it lacks
> categorization and search: https://github.com/iElectric/nixos/wiki/_pages
First talk to the community, then wait 1-2 weeks, then take action -
otherwise your effort may not be adopted.
So talk about the contents you want to provide, and tell the community
why you think git will be so much faster than copying an article into
your editor of choice, editing it, copying it back and press the "save"
button.

Marc Weber