[Nix-dev] NixOS wiki

Domen Kožar domen at dev.si
Sun Apr 7 11:10:09 CEST 2013

Hi all,

as I've been using NixOS for about a month now (iElectric on irc/github), I
am almost determined this is my next distribution of choice (after
switching around gentoo, ubuntu and debian).

I'd like to help with growing community, since I think that's quite an
important aspect at this stage that needs tinkering.

The major blocker is the wiki. Currently there is no way to register, and
my personal "TODO: document this" list is getting bigger, which means it
will never happen.

So, to the point. On short-term basis, we need a working "editing" part of
wiki, just to not lose information that could go in there.

I propose two solutions:

- we enable registration with email confirmations on current setup
- we migrate wiki to github repository so users can edit through github UI
or locally

On long-term basis, we need a wiki with support:

- categorization/tagging
- search
- clean UI for non-technical users
- some offline editing support (git)?
- markdown formatting support (for reasons that it's wide spread and most
simple to explain)
- did I forget something?

PS: I have imported current wiki into github wiki, but it lacks
categorization and search: https://github.com/iElectric/nixos/wiki/_pages

Domen