[Nix-dev] Updated system-tarballs for non-pc

Lluís Batlle i Rossell viric at viric.name
Sun Apr 7 17:39:53 CEST 2013

On Sat, Apr 06, 2013 at 11:22:26PM +0200, Bjørn Forsman wrote:
> On 3 April 2013 18:25, Lluís Batlle i Rossell <viric at viric.name> wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 03, 2013 at 06:23:53PM +0200, Moritz Ulrich wrote:
> >> I like the torrent approach too, but I'd like to see a wiki page
> >> documenting the steps how to build a tarball (the current 'Cross
> >> Compiling' page is a bit rough on that matter).
> >
> > These are not cross-built. There is no way to cross-build a 'system-tarball'.
>
> So system-tarballs can only be built for the system running NixOS
> (build==host==target)?

Yes

> Is there a way we could build it using either cross-compilation or
> QEMU system emulation?

This can be done, yes. You just need the proper kernel, that can be cross-built.

> I'd really like to have an automated way to bootstrap NixOS for
> various architectures. Like a replacement for Buildroot, OpenEmbedded
> etc.

in nixpkgs/pkgs/stdenv/linux there is a nix expression that I used to bootstrap
a pure stdenv.

NixOS is not thought at all to be cross-built, by now.

I used 'nanonixos' as a system that can be cross-built, but it's totally
independant of nixos.