[Nix-dev] Current udisks failure I see

Lluís Batlle i Rossell viric at viric.name
Thu Apr 4 00:24:28 CEST 2013

On Thu, Apr 04, 2013 at 12:19:50AM +0200, Lluís Batlle i Rossell wrote:
> I've exposed in a github issue that I see this problem with udisks:
> -------
> $ udisks --mount /dev/sdb1
> Mount failed: Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 1: helper failed with:
> mount: must be superuser to use mount
> -------
>
> I've straced the daemons (dbus-daemon and udisks-daemon), and I've noticed that
> the dbus-daemon-launch-helper is called by *udisks-daemon* and not dbus-daemon.
>
> The nixos module for dbus tells dbus to find the helper in setuid-wrappers, but
> the udisks module does not do that. So the mount fails.
>
> Eelco reported on irc that the current nixos made udisks work for him.
>
> Anyone has an idea of what happens?

Ok, I think I have it. Sometimes it takes to write a letter to find things out.
:)

/dev/sdb1 is in my fstab, as 'user,noauto'. Udisks, in that case, calls its own
special helper, for which we don't have setuid-wrapper:
/nix/store/m9vyvxhzpdixy8xn69b1jvphrci6f1h8-udisks-1.0.4/libexec/udisks-helper-fstab-mounter

I guess I've to take out those fstab entries out, if I want to use udisks.
Interesting, that in that case the caller for mounting will be 'dbus-daemon',
and not 'udisks-daemon'.