[Nix-dev] Charon different nixos/nixpkgs per server

Rob Vermaas rob.vermaas at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 16:28:18 CEST 2012

Hi Rickard,

> I have started to look into Charon for deploying a set of NixOS machines
> with inter-dependencies.
>
> Is there a simple way to let different servers in the network use
> different versions of the nixos and nixpkgs repositories? I'm specifically
> looking at keeping some machines more stable, with a (somehow) tested
> version of nixpkgs, while letting other machines using try out bleeding
> edge stuff.

You can run 'charon create -I
nixos=<location-of-machine-specific-nixos> -I
nixpkgs=<location-of-machine-specific-nixpkgs> network.nix' . It will
make nix evaluation use the specified nix-path entries.

>From the man page:

       -I path
           Add path to the Nix expression search path for all future
evaluations of the deployment specification. Charon stores
           path in the state file. This option may be given multiple
times. See the description of the -I option in nix-
           instantiate(1) for details.

Hope that helps,
Cheers,
Rob