[Nix-dev] simple php/apache server

Mathijs Kwik mathijs at bluescreen303.nl
Sun Sep 2 08:38:12 CEST 2012

On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 1:51 AM, Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de> wrote:
> Yes: Setting up PHP is nontrivial.
>
> There are at least 3 or more options:
> 1) apache module (then php runs as "apache" users - thus can read all
> files of all customers - unless you setup deprecated openbasedir stuff

That's fine with me. I will be running only 1 "customer" and
apache+php+mysql for it will run in a vm (or lxc).
It will just act as a backend/upstream application to the real webserver.

But even the module wasn't trivial to enable. But now, after a fresh
night of sleep, it might be easier :)

> 2) cgi & suexec (google it)
>
> 3) php-fpm (fastcgi server): apache connects to php daemon which
>   forwards job to thread running as specific uid/gid ..
>
>   github.com/MarcWeber/nixos/nixpgs has a php branch with quite some
>   support, aszlig (irc) has a different implementation.
>
>   I'm close to finishing some patches supporting multiple php versions
>   for apache easily - but I haven't finished yet.
>
> Anyway: I'm not an expert ...
>
> It is easy to find professional PHP hosting companies offering hosting
> for $2/month (but then maybe have only FTP accesss)

I know, but they don't run NixOS :)
And, as apache/php will be part of a bigger web-serving setup (as
backend process), I want to keep it internal.