[Nix-dev] simple php/apache server

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sun Sep 2 01:51:51 CEST 2012

Yes: Setting up PHP is nontrivial.

There are at least 3 or more options:
1) apache module (then php runs as "apache" users - thus can read all
files of all customers - unless you setup deprecated openbasedir stuff

2) cgi & suexec (google it)

3) php-fpm (fastcgi server): apache connects to php daemon which
  forwards job to thread running as specific uid/gid ..

  github.com/MarcWeber/nixos/nixpgs has a php branch with quite some
  support, aszlig (irc) has a different implementation.

  I'm close to finishing some patches supporting multiple php versions
  for apache easily - but I haven't finished yet.

Anyway: I'm not an expert ...

It is easy to find professional PHP hosting companies offering hosting
for $2/month (but then maybe have only FTP accesss)

Marc Weber