[Nix-dev] Fwd: Improving the Developer Experience in the Nix Community

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Sat Jun 30 10:01:38 CEST 2012

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 16:50:26 +0200, Bryce L Nordgren <bnordgren at gmail.com> wrote:
> Consensus as the only operating rule excludes Nix from the workplace.
> Nearly all workplaces have nonnegotiable policies, and it's likely that
> these will not be compatible. So there must always be an adaptation layer
> between a more or less generic distribution and the specific policies on
> site. The adaption layer is bidirectional: the distribution should be
> prepared to accept and de-specialize contributions from any particular
> environment, just as each participant must be prepared to specialize the
> generic distribution to their needs.
>
> An important part of Consensus is recognizing when it doesn't apply.

Sorry, I can't follow your argument / do not understand how this
collides with consensus and why you think it does not apply.

Can you describe why specifically it does not apply? I don't mean that
we should use the exact implementation of noisebridge, but I'd love if
we'd come up with our own one.

To my knowledge at noisebridge nobody blocked (since it's existence in
2007?) but instead on occation people indicated that they would block
and they'd like to discuss things further.

As I understand it, it is not about blocking ideas but about forming
them so everybody can agree with them (maybe with grinding teeth).

regards
florian
--
Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net>
  GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083
Jabber/XMPP: flo at chaoflow.net
IRC: chaoflow on freenode,ircnet,blafasel,OFTC