[Nix-dev] Fwd: Improving the Developer Experience in the Nix Community

Cillian de Róiste cillian.deroiste at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 18:42:11 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Bryce L Nordgren <bnordgren at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

The consensus process sounds very interesting to me. I can't think of
any particular cases which would infringe on a workplace policy
personally. If I understand correctly, the idea is that you vote
against (block) things you feel strongly should not happen, so it's
just the opposite of a normal voting process where you vote in favor
of a proposal. With the normal voting process a decision can be
accepted even if some people are strongly against it. With the
consensus process everybody doesn't have to agree or think that the
solution is the best possible one, it just needs to be the case that
nobody is strongly against it.

Whether someone has the right to vote with either system is difficult
to determine, and a single blocker is more powerful than a single
voter so that may make it tricky to apply. I can see why it makes
sense for members to be physically present at a meeting to work out
differences of opinion. I wouldn't rule it out as an optional decision
making process just yet though.