[Nix-dev] Announcing free-nix: the free Linux distribution based on the Nix package manager

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Wed Jun 27 10:59:59 CEST 2012

> What I am saying is that after 4 years of continuous work on Nix, I have
> a significant investment in this project, and changes that are made to
> this project affect me personally and professionally in ways that may
> not be obvious to the person who is making that change.
Which is why you can't accept democracy either :) (sorry).

But its great - that we all agree that hydra is the key point for
professional usage.

Thus free-nix is about having a free to use hydra?

> Can you see why I am kind-of unhappy right now?
Yes - sure. And you will probably also see that free-nix
can't be lead by democracy either, because you have nixos installed on
100 machines now - This I don't think its going to solve your problems
unless the majority agrees on "we will do whatever is necessary to
keep your machines running" :)

What we really need is a hydra we all have kind of control over - so
that we all can build and test our experimental branches ourselves.

And here expenses are involved - (which is usually a problem for open
source projects - which is why most of them don't want to touch money at
all)

Anyway: That nixos starts being used that much is a great sign - we
should celebrate it :)

My two cents.

Marc Weber