[Nix-dev] Announcing free-nix: the free Linux distribution based on the Nix package manager

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Tue Jun 26 16:19:14 CEST 2012

Hi Shea,

 >> - pkgs         is a database of free software packages that can be installed
 >>                with the Nix package manager.
 >
 > Will proprietary or non-GPL'd software be allowed to be packaged in
 > free-nix? Or, what do you mean by the 'free' in free-nix?

personally, I believe everything that *can* be packaged in free-nix
*should* be packaged in free-nix.

However, that is exactly the kind of decision to be taken in a vote of
majority. If the majority of community members feels that we should not
package non-free software (according to some definition), then that's
how it's going to be.

Generally speaking, I'd like the "free" in free-nix to signify that the
project is open for everyone, that there is a low barrier for new
contributors to make an impact, and that everything that's going on is
transparent. But that's just a vague notion I have. What it means,
really, will be decided in the social contract we'll create.

Take care,
Peter