[Nix-dev] Announcing free-nix: the free Linux distribution based on the Nix package manager

Andres Loeh ksnix at andres-loeh.de
Tue Jun 26 14:34:58 CEST 2012

Hi Peter.

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 12:45 PM, Peter Simons <simons at cryp.to> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> it is my pleasure to announce the free-nix project, which aims to provide a
> user- and developer-friendly free Linux distribution based on the Nix package
> manager. The project is hosted on Github at

Is this really necessary? Was there any warning from you that this
would happen? If you're unhappy with the way Nix is being run, why not
bring it up and try to convince people to change the overall policy,
rather than try to fork and thereby possibly causing fragmentation in
what's already a small community. I could somehow understand it if
your decision was perceived by me as the outcome of a failed attempt
of convincing the project to go in this direction, but afaics, you
haven't even tried.

Best of luck with free-nix.

Cheers,
  Andres