[Nix-dev] Announcing free-nix: the free Linux distribution based on the Nix package manager

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Tue Jun 26 13:28:40 CEST 2012

Excerpts from Peter Simons's message of Tue Jun 26 12:45:18 +0200 2012:
> project's goals, policies, and procedures.
Stating a vision or project goal is great. That has been lacking for
nixos IMHO.

Whether new mailinglists will be created or not - will be discussed
later then?

Announcing a new repo is easy - have you already thought about how to
run test cases (build farm?).
At this point expenses are involved (IMHO).

I understand that its the community who has to decide on that.

New challenges I see:
nixpkgs (the package collection) may provide packages for different
targets in the future, eg there is http://www.android-x86.org/ etc.

I don't know enough about the subject to judge it - just writing down
what comes to my mind. Just thinking that 'free-nix' (whatever that will
be ) may end up in different sub projects in the future.

At least I would love to have similar guarantees on mobile phones as I
have on my desktop pc.

Another topic would be overlays. Eg for Python/Ruby/Haskell packages
there exist already two implementations (mine and the one found in
nixpkgs).

Because there are many different topics which could be discussed - and
because the community is still small I hope that whatever happens
collaboration will continue to happen - nobody can afford to run a linux
distribution on its own today.

Marc Weber