[Nix-dev] Google web fonts import

Kirill Elagin kirelagin at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 21:32:03 CEST 2012

2012/6/24 Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de>

> > Ok, guys, let's be honest. Nix needs something like categories.
>
> What if you have a python library which is also a compiler?
> Put into category "compilers" or "python-library"?

Well, yeah, this might be a problem, but other package managers solve this
somehow.

Thus do you want to assign multiple categories to a package?

No. That's not about search. Categories are needed just to handle packages
with equal names. It's unlikely to get two packages with same names similar
functionality (in one category). And there are such packages in different
categories; I can't remember any examples right now, but there are plenty
of them in Portage.

The name of the package is like, you know, its name. I don't want vim to be
called 'editor-vim'.
What we have now might work, but nixpkgs is growing and one day we'll face
those difficulties, I'm talking about.

Another problem is this all-packages.nix which is a nightmare. It should be
split into smaller files at least. Even better is to generate it implicitly
by traversing all subfolders