[Nix-dev] Nixpkgs and NixOS moved to GitHub

Kirill Elagin kirelagin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 09:30:18 CEST 2012

2012/6/22 Ludovic Courtès <ludo at gnu.org>

> Eelco Dolstra <eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com> skribis:

> changes (such
> while
>  This of
> >>
> >> That sounds good to me.  Perhaps those who had SVN access could get Git
> >> access too, as was suggested.  The main issue would be excessive merge
> >> commits when the history would have otherwise been linear.
> >
> > Eh, I don't see the connection between those two sentences :-)
>
> If many can commit, it seems likely that we’ll end up with many merge
> commits.
> Whereas, if (say) you’re the only one, the history will be linear (but
> of course, nobody would want that!).

Hello, this is git. Why are you against merge commits? Some smart people
even add --no-ff to `git merge` to get a merge commit when the merge is
resolved as ff.
Basically this is all about policies and I'd like to write another letter
on this, but I really do not have much time right now, so, maybe, later. In
short: since NixOS might turn into a really large project one day and, as I
know it is already used on servers, security must be a priority, so we
probably want sign-offs.

--
Кирилл Елагин