[Nix-dev] Nixpkgs and NixOS moved to GitHub

Eelco Dolstra eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com
Thu Jun 21 23:48:07 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 21/06/12 03:34, Mathijs Kwik wrote:

> So I'm all in favor of having people just commit whatever they want
> (once they've proven they somewhat know what they're doing). If others
> don't like certain commits, roll them back and have some discussion.

That's the policy we've had with SVN since forever, but it has the result that
some things that should have stay confined to an experimental branch ended up in
the trunk and stayed there because I or others couldn't really muster the energy
to clean them up.

I suggested the "hybrid" policy because I agree that there is a lot of overhead
in doing everything through pull requests.  Changes that are likely to be
uncontroversial can go directly into master, but if you want to introduce some
wonderful stdenv.mkDerivation replacement, it should be subject to review before
it goes in.

--
Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://www.st.ewi.tudelft.nl/~dolstra/